ADVANCED CREATIVE WRITING:
STORY-TELLING, GENRES & STRUCTURES
Not only the intuition is required in writing a story, but also a solid structure. Structure is highly important for screenwriting, shorter or longer fiction stories, advertisments and even social media posts. It helps to attract attention and reach the certain audience.
Learning about the importance of structures in any type of narrative might sound boring, but it is definitely not: this knowledge helps to understand why some stories are better than the others, how to create the emotional, artistic planes and also how to establish a strong logical foundation.
Photography: Glenn Carstens Peters
Gabrielė Labanauskaitė seeks to introduce the group to the principles of narrative construction, concentrating on the structures within any text. This course also involves development of creative writing skills through the exercises and reading of texts.
Duration: 21 academic hour
- to introduce to the basics of the narrative structure;
- to capture imagination and cultivate creativity through writing exercises;
- to discover all the possible means of structure to create an engaging story;
- to embed and complement previously built knowledge and establish a relationship with other creative peopleo of a group;
- to become aware of alternative structures of narrative;
- to discuss recently gained knowledge and share the work written during the course.
QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED:
- what do jokes, social media messages, and fiction literature have in common?
- what structural elements comprise a story?
- what perspectives can be used to narrate a story?
- what are narrators for?
- how to create a tension and maintain an intrigue?
- how to approach a reader?
- why compositional variety is important?
PROGRAMME OF THE COURSE:
- group and course curriculum introduction, discussion, creative writing tasks and exercises;
- features, forms & structure of short-stories (prose and poetry miniatures, jokes, social media content, etc), creative writing tasks and exercises;
- text scene, four of its main elements and the maintenance of tension & reader’s engagement, creative writing tasks and exercises;
- alternative interpretation of the rules: various structures and their possibilities, creative writing tasks and exercises;
- development of a longer narratives, including symbols, motifs, parallel storylines and etc., similarities and differences between a novel and a short-story, creative writing tasks and exercises;
- exploration of the favourite genre and discovery of the common tendencies, course evaluation, discussion, sharing of creative work within a group.
Organizers of creative writing courses maintain a right to change the curriculum.
❓ Dates of the upcoming courses and additional information can be received by email → [email protected]or found on social media page ➡ IŠ TYLOS