When talking about poetry, writer Virginia Woolf said that the purpose of a poet is to describe honestly and accurately a world that, as a possible thing, never existed for any person. Each poem, sonnet or haiku is a separate universe where all laws obey the imagination of the poet. However, how to open the gates to those unknown worlds with the help of words, rhyme, rhythm, language tools alone?
In this course, Assoc. Dr. Gabrielė Labanauskaitė will help tame poetry to those who are afraid of it, and will introduce those who are already skilled to the techniques and intricacies of this literary genre. Aušra Kaziliūnaitė, the author of 6 poetry books, whose work has received numerous national and international awards, will lead one of the course sessions.
Lenght: 21 academic hours
IN THIS COURSE:
- you will open the door of poetry, which will give space for creativity to spread and help you in difficult moments of life;
- you will get to know the diversity of poetry genres and the uniqueness of each of them;
- you will play in rhyme and rhythm;
- you will get to know the fastidious Miss Metaphor and other decorations of speech better;
- you will test the methods of creating poetry and develop your writing skills;
- you will create, read and generally increase your understanding of what poetry is;
- at the end of the course you will receive personal feedback about your creation;
- if you miss the session, you will be able to view the video material;
- you will expand the circle of creative like-minded people.
What makes this creative writing course different from other similar courses?
- this is the only poetry writing course in Lithuania so far;
- the course program is special in its completeness and in-depth study of the material, enriched with many practical exercises and advice;
- you will create together in a small group;
- the course is playfully led by the poet and playwright Gabrielė Labanauskaitė, and feedback will be provided by the poet Aušra Kaziliūnaitė, who has published six books of poetry.
I would describe this first poetry course as very comprehensive. It was very interesting and meaningful to get acquainted with the structures, formulas, and possibilities of creating poetry, while at the same time allowing to feel the absence of those boundaries. Inventive tasks, as always, awakened creativity, encouraged independent work, and perfectly filled our time with poetry. And also the feedback that Aušra Kaziliūnaitė gave us in the last lecture was extremely interesting and rich in all senses. – Sandra Sparnaitiene
During this course, I received structured, clearly, and interestingly conveyed knowledge about poetry, different styles and genres. Gabriele also always provides tools that help you create and enable you to work independently. I am so grateful for all the fellowship, inspiration, support, and encouragement to move along my path. During these trainings, it was a great joy to hear the feedback of writer, teacher, poet Aušra Kaziliūnaitė about my work and that of other training participants. Such support helps a lot and encourages me to feel more confident in creating poetry. – Justina Butkutė
❓ You can know the dates of the recent courses by e-mail → [email protected] or social media ➡ IŠ TYLOS
“So okay – there you are in your room with the shade down and the door shut and the plug pulled out of the base of telephone. You’ve blown up your TV and committed yourself to a thousand words a day, come hell or high water. Now comes the big question: What are you going to write about? And the equally big answer: Anything you damn well want.”
Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Literary mentoring is designed for individual learning following a tailor-made curriculum at the convenient time. These individual consultations focus on writers of different types. Some of the former students sought for the basic knowledge of creative writing to start writing in general. Others simply wanted to improve their skills in private.
Photography: Shelby Miller
Often literary mentoring is necessary for the writers who want to discuss a
particular piece of their work (novel, short story or etc.). They intend to analyse, study and master writing with the help of the professional and the provided theoretical and practical literary knowledge.
⏰Duration of the regular consultation is 1 hour.
“I remember taking along a final draft of my latest text to the first literary mentoring consultation. I had a feeling that a story might lack some clarity, so I hoped that Gabrielė could help me edit the text and extract the main idea. I had developed the tendency to wrap the text in a way that it was becoming too complicated to the reader. I noticed it while attending creative writing courses with Gabrielė. She has always been honest and humbly advised me where to focus on, what to unwrap to make a story coherent and clear.
After our first individual meeting I left frustrated. Gabrielė advised me to try to divide my so-called final draft into two stories. I had a different feeling: dividing the narrative in two threatened with the loss of meaning. I had that feeling until I sat down to write. I kept meeting with Gabrielė for mentoring and after a few months I had two stories – ready-to-publish novels.”
Dovilė Raustytė, chief of communication at International Film Festival „Kino pavasaris“, writer
“Gabrielė provides literary mentoring consultations, where she actually embodies the subtle equilibrium. She manages to balance sensitive, empathetic and unconditional support with professional, careful and precise insistence. I think these are the qualities of the real teacher! What fascinates me is that Gabrielė also combines learning process with a game. I had even suprised myself coming to the realisation that this childish approach and the inner hazard enabled me to write hypnotic and profound stories.”
Rosita Pipirienė, psychotherapist
❗ For more information contact Gabrielė Labanauskaitė ➡ [email protected]
THE BASICS OF CREATIVE WRITING
Everyone has a right to write despite the sex, age or occupation. So, creative writing courses are designed for anybody, who seek to develop, renew or improve writing skills. It is pretty hard to describe a term of creative writing, because the picture does not fir the frame. Creative writing has many techniques, styles that can be combained and harnessed to help the writer express himself. The primal purpose of these courses is a creativity-oriented development of daily writing habit. No matter where the muses hide, where the inspiration lays.
Photography: Yannick Pulver
Gabrielė Labanauskaitė seeks to introduce the group to the basics of creative writing, focusing on the creativity and search for the personal style.
Duration: 21 academic hour
- to explore the basics of creative writing;
- to develop a habit of everyday writing exercises to cultivate the fantasy and imagination;
- to discover a variety of genres, styles and try writing skills in each of them to find out the best fit;
- to get to know more about the means of expression making a story-telling interesting and captivating;
- to establish a relationship with other creative people and widen the circle of like-minded ones;
- to discuss the information received and share pieces of creative work within the group.
QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED:
- is it possible to learn to write?
- how to know if I have what it takes to become a person, who writes?
- how to make peace with the inner critics and harness their energy for work?
- how to cultivate imagination?
- what are the elements of a good story?
- how to employ the theory into everyday life practice?
PROGRAMME OF THE COURSE:
- introduction, determination of upcoming challenges and possibilities, discussion, creative writing tasks and exercises;
- methods of cultivating imagination, recognition of the inner critic, creative writing tasks and exercises;
- development of style, discussion about prefered genres, styles, creative writing tasks and exercises;
- introduction of the main story-telling elements, development of the story;
- tips and discussion about the skills and habits helping to establish a tradition of casual writing, creative writing tasks and exercises;
- course summary, discussion.
Organizers of creative writing courses maintain a right to change the curriculum.
❓ Dates of the upcoming courses and additional information can be received by email → [email protected]or found on social media page ➡ IŠ TYLOS